Possession or Sale Drug Crimes
In Michigan, there are certain circumstances where the statutory penalties for crimes related to the sale or possession of controlled and illicit substances result in enhanced penalties. If you are accused of a drug crime with the potential for an enhanced penalty, it is critical to call ZAYID LAW and start building your defense today.
- Delivering to a minor.Penalties can double when an adult (18 or older) delivers a controlled substance to a minor who’s at least three years younger than the seller. A mandatory one-year prison sentence applies when the drug is a schedule 1 or 2 narcotic or cocaine.
- School property or library.An adult who sells or possesses a controlled substance on or within 1,000 feet of school property or a library faces a mandatory two-year prison sentence up to a term of imprisonment that is:
- for a delivery crime, three times that of the underlying offense, or
- for a crime involving possession with or without intent to deliver, two times that of the underlying offense.
- Public or private park.An additional two years can be added to an adult’s sentence for possessing certain controlled substances or selling them to minors in or within 1,000 feet of a public or private park.
- A repeat controlled substance offense carries a possible sentence of two times that of the underlying offense. If the offense was committed on or within 1,000 feet of school property or a library, the offender faces a mandatory five-year prison term up to twice the prison term authorized above.
(Mich. Comp. Laws §§ 333.7410, .7410a, .7413 (2019).)