The police have threatened to take my car in connection with the drug charges against me. Is this legal? What can I do?

Law enforcement does have the authority to confiscate items such as a car, boat, firearm and so forth in what are called civil forfeiture proceedings. The item must have been used in the commission of a crime, purchased with the proceeds of criminal activity, or have come into your possession in the course of money laundering. An experienced attorney knows of a number of strategies to defend against civil forfeiture proceedings.